My EMS Experience: Tracking, Claiming and Step-by-Step Guide


Last August 12, 2015, I ordered a costume from FanPlusFriend Costume Store, an online costume store based in China. Since the transaction was international, it would have to go through the Bureau of Customs and Philippine Post Office. Here is my guide and review for claiming your parcels/packages from PhilPost EMS.

Tracking

At first, I thought that the shipping method used for my order was DHL (which I would have preferred, to be honest), but when the product was finally out for shipping on October 31, 2015, it showed EMS.

trackinginfo

I was given a tracking number which I religiously checked through the PhilPost website Track and Trace tool. Once I saw “Item for Customs Examination”, I immediately knew that it was for pick-up in their office in Pasay City. Well, there goes my hope of it being directly shipped to my doorstep. Expensive expedited shipping but not delivered straight to me.

It does not help that I had been reading many negative reviews about EMS in the Philippines. Among them were rude attendants, overtaxing and bribery. And because of that, I made sure that I was prepared. I researched tariff rates, EMS and BoC charges and any complications that I might encounter along the way.

EMS Notification Card

EMS Notice Card

I got this card in the mail on September 9, 2015 in the afternoon. It’s funny because I actually received this card after I got my product. Yes, you can actually get your items before you get this card. You just need to present your tracking number and also make sure that your products are indeed at the Philpost office.

I was actually given another EMS Notice Card while I was at the PhilPost office. I’m guessing they need it for transactional purposes.

PhilPost and Bureau of Customs: Guide and Tax Computations

The PhilPost office is located at CMEC, Domestic Road, Pasay, 1300 Metro Manila, Philippines. It is near the NAIA Terminals, nearest to Terminal 4.

I had Peter drive me to the Philpost office at 8AM because I was anticipating traffic and a line queue at the destination. And because of the traffic, transportation by car took us around an hour and a half. We arrived there at 9:30AM and parked at the designated parking spot for private vehicles. Here is my a step-by-step guide on how to claim your package at PhilPost Pasay.

  1. Approach Window 1 and present your Tracking Number as well as a valid ID. You will then be given a number. Wait for your number to be called.
  2. Once your number is called, proceed to Window 2. Here is where you will pay the Php 100 for package handling. You will then be asked to wait for your name to be called.
  3. When your name is called, proceed to the Bureau of Customs office. Here, the personnel will open your packages and examine it. They will also ask you questions as to how much it is, where you bought it, etc. They will also try to grill you to know if you are telling the truth, so be sure to come with the invoice of your products as well be informed of the tax rates.
  4. After inspecting your items, they will re-seal your items and you will be asked to wait again for your name to be called.
  5. When your name is called, you will be directed to the Bureau of Customs Back Office where they will compute your taxes and bill you. You will pay here. After you receive your invoice, proceed back to the lounge area and wait for you name to be called.
  6. When your name is called, present your invoice receipt to the attending personnel. Once confirmed, your package will be released to you. You are done!

In my case, my seller actually marked my packages a $20, including shipping. She also sent me a $20 invoice which was what I presented to the BoC personnel when she asked about my purchase. Here is the computation of the taxes due:

Item Description: Clothes
Tariff Rate: 15%
Computation:

Cost:
20.00 USD
Insurance:
00.08
Weight/Postage:
25.13
Total CIF Value:
45.93 USD x 46.776 (peso ex rate)
Dutiable Value:
2147.96 PHP
Customs Duty:
322.19 PHP
Excise Tax:

Import Processing Fee:

Customs Documentary Stamp:
15 PHP
Total Landed Cost:
2485.15 PHP x 12% VAT
Value Added Tax:
298.21

Summary:

Customs Duty:
322 PHP
Value Added Tax:
298 PHP
Excise Tax:

Import Processing Fee:
250 PHP
Customs Documentary Stamp:
15 PHP
TOTAL:
635 PHP


It is actually quite close to what I got when I used the tax calculator at the Bureau of Customs website. I got around Php 800+ when I computed but turned out I was due just Php 635.

Photos:

IMG_1176IMG_1177IMG_1178IMG_1201

Tips:

  • It would be advantageous if you know how much duty you need to pay and also know the percentage tax of the item you bought. Click here to calculate your estimated taxes and click here to open the Philippine Tariff Finder website.
  • Be at the PhilPost Office early so you can avoid the line queue.
  • Have a copy of your invoice with you, either printed or digital (in your mobile phone or tablet). This way, you can defend your purchase once questioned about it.
  • Be courteous to your attending personnel. It could help in expediting the claiming process.
  • If your seller allows it, have your package be marked lower than its original price. Also request to have an updated invoice sent to you.

To Remember:

  • PhilPost and the Bureau of Customs handle different aspects of the transaction. You pay PhilPost the Php 100 handling fee for housing your package, but the taxes due would be paid to the Bureau of Customs.
  • If you live in the province, your package will be forwarded to your provincial Post Office. They will be the ones to handle your package there and tax it if necessary.
  • You may have somebody else pick up your package. You just need to make an authorization letter, the have him bring the EMS claim card and two valid IDs for the transaction. 

Observations and Overall Experience


It is definitely a let-down that most packages that are sent through EMS have to be fetched at the main office in Pasay. It is such an inconvenience! I would have preferred it if they forwarded it to the Makati Post Office since this is the city where I live, but they were adamant to have it fetched at their main office in Pasay.

Also, keep in mind that your packages being kept for customs review at the PhilPost office counts against what you paid for expedited shipping. In my case, I paid $35 for shipping. What is the point of having expedited shipping and expecting it for 3-5 days, only to find it delayed because of customs inspection? The costume set I ordered I got after 9 days. This shipping method is not recommended  for those chasing time with their packages.

But in spite the fact that it was not the most pleasant experience, but it also was not terrible. It could definitely be better. Some of their employees could be more well-mannered, their facilities could be improved. Obviously I would have liked it better had they delivered straight to my doorstep, but I doubt that’s possible with EMS. If it has happened, it would have been a very rare occurrence. I would recommend FedEx or DHL if you would like to have your packages shipped directly to you.

Comments

  1. Hello.. Good day just want to ask regarding my parcel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi good day.. i juat want to ask how manny days door to door from japan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Shipping Cart Experience: Shipping a Laptop to the Philippines