My Rakso Travel Experience: Jeju Island 2017

I finally got to travel overseas for the first time on my birthday week last May of 2017. The destination was the breathtaking Jeju Island of South Korea.

Around April, I've been browsing online for overseas trips without requiring a visa. I really did not want to be hassled by preparing documents and such. After a round of Googling, I stumble upon Rakso's website and saw the page for Jeju Island.

Where is Jeju Island? Is it visa-free?

Jeju Island is the man island of the Jeju Province in South Korea. It is true that Jeju Island is visa free, given that you are entering the island directly and not through a connecting flight from any other part of South Korea.  You can stay a maximum of 30 days.

From my knowledge, only through Philippine Airlines via a chartered flight is the only way to fly from Manila to Jeju Island directly. I am uncertain if this flight can be availed only through Rakso Travels. Another option is that you choose a connecting flight from Manila to Hong Kong to Jeju Island.

You can think of Jeju Island as a part of South Korea, but autonomous of it. They are kind of self-reliant and tourism is one of their main sources of income next to tangerines.

Rakso's Jeju Island Trip Details



This is the banner that caught my attention when I visited the Rakso website. The banner states a promo for 50% off on the second person! 4D3N Jeju Island!

Inclusions:
  • Roundtrip Airfare via Philippine Airlines
  • Roundtrip Transfer Service based on Private Coach 3 Nights Accommodation
  • Meals specified in the itinerary with 1 buffet BBQ Salad Self Bar
  • Tours and admission fees based on itinerary 
  • English Speaking Tour Guide
Exclusions:
  • Airline and airport taxes - USD41.00 per person 
  • Mandatory Tipping for Guide & Driver - USD20.00 per person
  • Philippine Travel Tax - PHP 1,620.00 per person 
  • Beverages/Liquid refreshment during meal
In our experience, the only thing we paid for in the exclusions was the Philippine Travel Tax and the optional refreshments. 

The great thing about this package is that everything is all-in! Meaning you can enjoy this trip without spending for anything else as everything is provided for. The airfare, daily meals and snacks, daily transfers, the hotel rooms, the tickets--everything is already paid.

I immediately signed up for an account on the Rakso website and communicated through webchat and email my intent. I was in a hurry because I wanted to make sure I got a slot for the trip. I was sent a list of requirements before the booking could be final:

Requirements:

  • Duly filled-up Jeju Information Sheet with signature*
  • Signed copy of contract and terms and conditions*
  • Scanned copy of Passports valid 6 months valid (upon arrival back in Manila)
  • Scanned copy of company ID's
  • Deposit fee of $100 per person
*Unsigned information sheet, contract and terms and conditions were sent to me through email.

Rakso will forfeit the reservation slots if the deposit fees aren't paid on the due date they provided. They also sent me a list of their accounts with various banks and as BDO is my primary bank, I chose to deposit the $200 there.


First-time traveler? Worried about offloading?

As I was a first time overseas traveller, I was a bit worried about the issue of being offloaded at the airport. I made myself paranoid by researching online and found a lot of horror stories about people having legitimate reasons to travel but were barred for some reason by immigration officers. 

I expressed my worries to my Rakso trip manager and she asked for some documentations from me so that in the event that I get stopped, I have those ready. They asked that I prepare:
  • Certificate of Employment
  • DTI/SEC of the company
  • Bank Certificates
I sent them copies of these and they informed me that we are complete with our requirements. 

On the first week of May I deposited the remaining balance and sent a scanned copy of the deposit slip to my Rakso trip manager. She immediately acknowledged my email and informed me that they will let me know when the travel documents are ready. I was able to pick up the documents five days before the trip in their Makati office.

Rakso Travel Documents



  • Travelliance envelope
  • Tour ID
  • Customer Feedback Sheet
  • Contract
  • Travel insurance
  • Day-to-day schedule
  • Philippine Airlines e-Ticket
  • Acknowledgement receipt
Those were pretty much all we need for the trip!

NAIA Terminal 1 Check-in

On the day of our flight, we left our car in Park n Fly and was brought to the NAIA Terminal 1. All Philippine Airlines flights are now in Terminal 1. We paid the travel tax, checked-in, filled out departure cards and went in line for the immigration booths. 

I was a bit apprehensive here. When it was our turn, we were asked for our passports. When the immigration officer did not see any prior stamps, he asked if we were first time travelers. He also asked about our work as well as a copy of our return flights. It didn't seem like he was suspecting us of anything and a few seconds later he was stamping our passports! 

I was leaping (inside my mind) at this point. I didn't need to show any bank certificates or certificates of employment. We went through immigration with smiles on our faces.

We arrived in Jeju Island and I had an amazing three days (one being my birthday!) there. Here are some of the pictures we took:









We toured with other people who also availed of the package. We didn't interact with them much but they were very nice as was our tour guide, Janice.

I made a lot of memories here. The people in Jeju Island were nice and welcoming, and the place is just breathtaking. I will definitely be back one day.

If you have any questions or would like me to elaborate on specific things, please feel free to ask.

Here is Rakso's contact information to anyone interested in availing any of their awesome tour packages:

email: support@raksotravel.com
trunkline: (+63) 02 651 9000
address: 3/F Rico Building, 112 Aguirre St., Legaspi Village, Makati City

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Shipping Cart Experience: Shipping a Laptop to the Philippines